Athens is a beautiful city with a rich history and culture, but it’s also surrounded by stunning beaches that are worth exploring. From sandy beaches to hidden coves, here are my top picks for the best beaches in Athens.
Vouliagmeni Beach is located in the coastal suburb of Vouliagmeni and is one of the most popular beaches in Athens.
The beach is known for its crystal-clear waters and golden sand, and it’s a great spot for swimming and sunbathing. There are also many cafes and restaurants nearby, making it easy to grab a bite to eat or a refreshing drink.
Lagonisi Beach is another beautiful beach located in the southern suburbs of Athens. The beach is known for its turquoise waters and white sand, and it’s a great spot for snorkeling and scuba diving.
There are also several beach bars and restaurants nearby, making it a great place to spend the day.
If you’re looking for a more secluded beach, Schinias Beach is a great option. Located on the eastern coast of Attica, Schinias Beach is known for its crystal-clear waters and beautiful pine trees.
It’s a great spot for swimming, sunbathing, and hiking. There are also several tavernas nearby, serving up delicious Greek cuisine.
Varkiza Beach is located in the southern suburbs of Athens and is a popular spot for both locals and tourists.
The beach is known for its clear waters and sandy beach, and it’s a great spot for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
There are also several restaurants and cafes nearby, making it easy to grab a bite to eat.
Astir Beach is one of the most luxurious beaches in Athens and is located in the coastal suburb of Vouliagmeni. The beach is known for its soft sand and turquoise waters, and it’s a great spot for swimming and sunbathing.
There are also several high-end restaurants and bars nearby, making it a great place to spend the day in style.
Agios Kosmas Beach
Agios Kosmas Beach is located in the southern suburbs of Athens and is a great spot for both swimming and windsurfing.
The beach is known for its crystal-clear waters and sandy beach, and there are several beach bars and cafes nearby.
Glyfada Beach is located in the coastal suburb of Glyfada and is one of the most popular beaches in Athens. The beach is known for its golden sand and clear waters, and it’s a great spot for swimming and sunbathing.
There are also several cafes and restaurants nearby, making it easy to grab a bite to eat.
Here are a few more options to see:
Tips and recommendations for those visiting Athens for the first time
If you’re planning a trip to Athens, Greece for the first time, here are some useful tips to help you make the most of your visit:
- Visit the Acropolis early in the morning to avoid the crowds and the heat.
- Wear comfortable shoes, as Athens is a city that is best explored on foot.
- Carry cash with you, as some small shops and restaurants may not accept credit cards.
- Learn a few Greek phrases, such as “hello” (yassou) and “thank you” (efharisto), to show respect to the locals.
- Try traditional Greek food, such as moussaka, souvlaki, and spanakopita, at a local taverna.
- Take advantage of the public transportation system, which includes buses, trams, and the metro.
- Visit the National Archaeological Museum to see some of Greece’s most famous ancient artifacts.
- Explore the neighborhoods of Plaka and Monastiraki for their charming atmosphere and shopping.
- Check out the local markets, such as the Varvakios Market and the Monastiraki Flea Market, for unique souvenirs and local products.
- Finally, be sure to relax and enjoy the beautiful beaches and stunning views that Athens has to offer.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to make the most of your visit to Athens and have a memorable experience.
Athens is a city that truly has it all, from stunning ancient ruins to beautiful beaches. Whether you’re interested in history or just want to spend some time soaking up the sun, Athens has something for everyone.
With so many beautiful beaches to choose from, it can be hard to decide where to start, but hopefully, my suggestions have given you some ideas. So, pack your swimsuit and sunscreen, and get ready for a beach adventure in Athens!
For more texts about capitals from the same area, please check under the category Europe. Thank you for reading and have a nice day.